I may be getting worse at covering bike races. What’s truly sad about this is that I only manage to shoot a maximum of 3 races per year. Actually, let me reiterate—I’m getting worse at covering the actual racing. I think it’s a combination of not giving a single fux about covering it and also because I’m not carrying multiple hand cannons to capture all that sweet race action. What I like to cover is the event itself.
Regardless, Cross Vegas proved to be yet another amazing night. Don’t think I’ll ever tire of seeing old internet friends again and meeting a whole bunch of new ones. Twitter cycling is truly an amazing community. The interactions are awkward, exhilarating, and familiar all at the same time.
10 11 12 13 Facts About Cross Vegas ’14
1) There were a lot of people at Cross Vegas. This still pales in comparison to the average CX race in Belgium, but honestly, who cares. Just don’t throw beer.
2) Cross races are infinitely more interesting to shoot than
road crit races. Do not doubt me on this.
3) Sven Nys is fucking fast.
4) I missed most of the racing.
5) Meredith Miller is fucking fast. Especially considering she’s “retired”.
6) No secret my pre-race shot was MM’s secret to success. That, and crossing the line first.
7) I met half the internet wandering between VIP areas I wasn’t allowed in. Because not Prolly.
8) Shooting bike racing at night w/out a proper flash is hysterically inadvisable.
9) Shooting bike racing at night w/ the stock flash is punk rock. Or, as punk rock as a Nikon D7000 can be. Which, obviously, isn’t much.
10) For an introvert, #SELFIESCONBOREDOM was terrifying. I look weird w/out sunglasses.
11) That thing where you slowly say, “Heyyyyy, you’re Dave Z!”
12) I need to not schedule appointments so close to when I need to be at the race.
13) Seriously tho, Sven Fucking Nys is fucking fast.